The complex of buildings of the Veterinary Academy was built between 1930-1938. It includes the central palace, the educational divisions and other structures covering the area of almost 5 hectares. The ensemble of the Academy buildings is a state-protected cultural monument.

Project details

Reference object

Lithuanian Veterinary Academy, Baisogala, Lithuania

Architect

Violeta Beigiene und Vyde Vaičenonyte, UAB “CEDRA”

Developer

UAB “Pireka”

Client

Lithuanian Veterinary Academy, Lithuania

Clay roof tiles used

Pottleberg 301 in six different colours (anthracite, slate matt glazed, wine red glazed, black glazed, rustic, blue braised)

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuani

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Veterinary Institute of Lithuanian Health Sciences University, Lithuania © Violeta Beigienė

Extensions were needed

In 2007, the reconstruction of several buildings was planned. During the conversion of one of the blocks and its adaptation for scientific and research activities of the Veterinary Institute, its interior was redesigned, and new, modern laboratories of several types were equipped. However, not all facilities could be accommodated in the main, state-protected building; therefore we had to build an extension for staircase, elevator, technical rooms and several additional offices.

Finding the harmony within the animal

On one hand, the integral nature of the state-protected building of the Academy and its moderate and reserved style, volumetric harmony and moderate colours that have been popular in the 1930’s, required the project’s architects to create a structure not disrupting the harmony of the ensemble. On the other hand, the specific purpose of the complex invoked was to look for visual interfaces to the animal world, to escape from straight lines and rectangular forms, and to look for expression close to a living body of a creature.

Opposites attract

This in particular induced the choice of clay roof tiles Pottelberg 301 with different colours and gloss. They ideally suited for the objective of making a living scaly body. The contrast principle has justified the expectations, and the new wing did not significantly disrupt the principles of composition of the ensemble and did not clear away the identification criteria of a historical period, but clearly showed us who, when and by what means and materials the ensemble has been built. The Veterinary complex is dominated with park style lighting, and only some of the buildings have sparing illumination at the entrance to the buildings. Following the same principle of contrast, the illumination solution was completely different this time – special ventilation ceramic tiles with integrated LEDs. This type of illumination provides particular shine at night, and imparts even more features of a living and moving body to the building.

Related inspiration articles