Large parts of the building from the post-war period were torn down and rebuilt with a historicising façade.
Renovation of the office building "Zum schönen Turm", Munich, Germany
Beaver tiles with lobster-back construction
Renovation gentlemen's outfitters Hirmer
Munich’s well-to-do merchants used to live here. In the 19th century, the Baroque houses were replaced with shops. The largest of the time was the business premises “Zum Schönen Turm”. It was built in 1914 by architects Eugen Honig and Karl Söldner. During the Second World War, most of the buildings on Kaufingerstraße were destroyed and ultimately demolished. From 1990, the structures of the 1950’s and 1960’s were gradually replaced with postmodern or historicising buildings. Since 1971, Kaufingerstraße has been a pedestrian zone. With around 15,000 passers-by per hour, this shopping street has one of the highest levels of sales in Germany and with rental prices of around EUR 300 per square metre is one of the most expensive addresses in the world.